Niner WFO 9 Frame
If you mentioned the concept of a 29er on big terrain a few years ago, you undoubtedly would have been laughed at by riders and industry professionals everywhere. Here we are in 2014, and the Niner WFO 9 is one of the industry’s first long-travel big-wheelers, and boy is it equipped and ready for a great time!
This All-Mountain masher is ready to shed some light on what 29” wheels can do with nearly 6” of travel. The progressive “confidence inspiring” geometry provides slack enough angles that you might find yourself contemplating on racing this beast Downhill, yet not so slack that you’d find it difficult cornering tight turns or climbing. The WFO is constructed with airformed tubing which allows for careful shaping and control over wall thickness, optimizing strength and stiffness in key areas. These hydroformed tubes paired with the tapered headtube and 12x142mm rear axle ensure the WFO remains stiff and strong from head to rear axle.
The WFO does not handle like any other long-travel bike you’ve ever ridden before. The 29” wheel platform provides a shallower angle of attack when riding over obstacles which increases your ability to get down the most rutted sections with ease, while the tapered headtube reduces fork deflection, keeping your line straight and true. The long-travel and big wheels will eat up just about anything that dares to get in your way. You’ll find yourself getting down some seriously sketchy sections quicker and easier than before.
The WFO 9 features Niner’s patented CVA suspension which is the only suspension system created for the sole purpose to be used on 29” bikes. In other words, they did not modify suspension that was created for a 26” wheel. The CVA suspension was created with the goal of craftings an efficient suspension platform for the 29" bike. Due to the location of the lower pivot bolt, chain torque effectively isolates and cancels out the forces that can create inefficiency in pedal stroke. The result is unparalleled pedal efficiency, and remarkable sensitivity. CVA has excellent small bump compliance, to ensure that your ride is smooth as well as fast.
With its slack headtube, shorter top tube and chainstays, long-travel, and no front derailleur, after it’s all said and done, the Niner WFO 9 is the closest thing to a downhill 29er. The larger 29” wheel size gobbles up roots, rocks and ruts so much its almost unfair, while the new geometry allows it to still handle with the precision and flickability of its smaller wheeled relatives. The CVA suspension system makes climbing much more efficient, reducing bob and maximizing power transfer. Between the bigger wheel size, the nearly 6” of travel, and the new geometry and suspension system, the WFO 9 is faster and smother both up hill and downhill; a pure bred Enduro machine!
The Niner WFO 9 frame can only run 1x setups, and is compatible with most standard 1x chainring systems.
"Anyone who has ever ridden a 29er can testify to their ability to roll over rocks and the WFO lived up to the reputation. Between the nearly 6″of travel and the large wheels, even the ugliest rock sections were a mere point-and-shoot away from cleaning. Pointed uphill, the patented CVA suspension exhibited little bob but provided lots of traction."
- BikeRumor.com. Check out the full review here
Niner WFO 9 Frame Features
- 150mm of patented CVA suspension is controlled and sensitive
- Compatible with 150-170mm forks
- Tapered headtube technology
- Airformed tube construction
- RockShox Monarch Plus RC3 rear shock
- Stealth Reverb compatible
- ISCG 05 tabs and offset linkage design for chainguide compatibility
Niner WFO 9 Frame Specifications
- 73mm English threaded BB width
- ISCG 05 mounting tabs
- 30.9mm seatpost size, compatible with external and “stealth” dropper post routing
- 34.9mm seat collar size
- 142 x 12mm Maxle rear spacing
- Can fit up to a 2.35" tire (tire size varies by brand, some tires may not fit)
- Medium, Large and XL have one inner triangle bottle mount
- 1.125" - 1.5" tapered head tube, with “inset or zero stack” style headset
- Shock size: 8.5”(215mm) x 2.5”(64mm) – 5.9”(150mm) travel
- Shock mounting hardware width and drilling: 22mm x M8
- Shock SAG: 25% (which will move the o-ring 16mm down the shaft)
- Enduro Max sealed bearings – (8x) 26x17x5mm
- Compatible with most standard 1x chainring systems. Max 1x chainring size – 38T
|Seat Tube Length
|Effective Top Tube Length (150)
|Effective Top Tube Length (170)
|Head Tube Length
|Seat Angle (150)
|Seat Angle (170)
|Head Angle (150)
|Head Angle (170)
|Chain Stay Length
|BB Drop (150)
|BB Drop (170)
|Standover Height (150)
|Standover Height (170)
||5'3" - 5'9"
|5'8" - 6'0"
|5'11" - 6'3"
|6'3" - 6'7"
Note: Geometry measurements are given for 150mm and 170mm travel fork options.