Diamondback Podium 5 Road Bike 2013
The key to the low weight and high strength of the Diamondback Podium 5 frame lies in the properties of the carbon fiber build process. The Advanced Monocoque Molding Process (AMMP) ensures that each area of the frame has the correct amount of carbon fiber. In a nutshell, more carbon is used where it is needed and less where it isn’t. This keeps the weight down and the strength high. The process of the carbon construction is carefully controlled. The carbon plies are hand laid around a polystyrene pre-form core, using a plastic bladder in the shape of the product. Keeping a precise mold is a key objective in the carbon process and Diamondback engineers take great care in ensuring a precise fit. Silicon mandrel shells are also used to reinforce critical joint areas of the carbon frame so as to create smoother overlapping fibers. All of these methods allowed the Diamondback engineers to design and build a carbon frame that weighs a mere 950 grams!
Diamondback chooses to use Mitsubishi Rayon MR60 and HR40 carbon and the popular Toray T700 fibers for their carbon frame and fork. These fibers are incredibly difficult to work with, but because of their stiffness, the Podium can be made with very thin wall thicknesses. These fibers are bonded to together with Diamondback’s Optimum Resin Compound (ORC). Using too much resin makes a frame heavy and sluggish and using too little can result in separation and failure. OCR ensures the best ratio of resin to carbon combination and that creates a strong bonding process and an incredibly impact resistant carbon material. Diamond Back keeps quality control very high by manufacturing all their carbon fiber sheets in house unlike many competitors that buy pre-impregnated sheets.
The brilliant gloss black with red accented paint scheme is the canvas that Diamondback layered their component choice on. Shimano’s very capable 105 components are quickly closing the gap left by the top of the line Shimano Dura-Ace and Shimano Ultregra groups. The Shimano 105 group may only give up grams to their more expensive siblings. Shimano cassette, shifters, and chain complement the Shimano 105 brake/shifter levers and front and rear derailleurs. Well thought out departures from Shimano 105 is the FSA Gossamer PF 30 crankset andFSA CN910 10 speed chain. Easton provides their 20 spoke wheelset along that will roll for many miles. Diamondback completes the build with their handlebar, stem and saddle.
Dressed up in all black, this Diamonback Podium 5 strikes a menacing pose. Luckily, it's not just another pretty face. This is one Diamondback that will take you to the top of the podium!
- Frame:DBR AMMP Carbon Technology, Specific Modulous, Monocoque Competition Road Frame, internal cable routing, Carbon Drop outs, w/Taper headtube, Press-Fit 30 BB, Di2 Compatible
- Fork: DBR AMMP Carbon Competition Road Fork, Carbon Drop outs, w/Taper Carbon steerer tube, CFT Contiunuous Fiber Technology
- Headset: FSA No.42 , Sealed ACB for Taper Headtube
- Cranks: FSA Gossamer PF30 53,39t
- Bottom Bracket: PRESS FIT 30
- Front Derailleur: Shimano 105, Braze-on
- Rear Derailleur: Shimano 105 10spd
- Shifter: Shimano 105 Dual Control 10spd
- Cogset (Cassette/Freewheel): Shimano CS-4600 10spd (11-25t)
- Chain: FSA CN910 10spd
- Hubset: (F) Easton 20h , V1S, Cartridge bearing (R) Easton 24h , V1S, Cassette, Cartridge bearing
- Spokes:Stainless Steel
- Rims: Easton Road 20h 21mm frt / 24h rr
- Tires: Michelin Dynamic Sport 700x23c
- Brakes: Tektro R540 dual pivot
- Brake Levers: Shimano 105 Dual Control 10 Speed
- Handlebar: DBR Drop Bar Road 31.8
- Grips: DBR Race tape w/Gel
- Stem: DBR 3D forged, +/-7 degree, 31.8
- Seat: DBR Competition Road with NiCro Rails
- Seat Post: DBR Performance Post, Alloy Micro Adjust, 27.2mm
| Seat Tube Length
| Standover Height
| Head Tube Length
| Top Tube Length*
| Head Angle
| Seat Angle
| Wheel Base
| Stem Length
| Handlebar Width
Jenson USA is an authorized Diamondback retailer and this product is covered by Diamondback's warranty against defects in materials or workmanship. The warranty term varies by model. To see the full, printable warranty statement, please click here.
In the event of a warranty claim, the retailer (Jenson USA) will be your primary point of contact and will facilitate the claim on your behalf. Call us at (888) 880-3811 x149 or click "Email Us" from our Help Desk page and select "Warranty Claim" as the reason for the inquiry.
Jenson USA ships worldwide, including APO/FPO addresses. For a quote, simply add the items you are interested in to your shopping cart and look for the "Shipping Options" box. You don't have to login or create an account to see shipping charges.
Some manufacturers restrict where we can ship their products. If this item has shipping restrictions, they are listed below. If you'd like to buy an item that we cannot ship to your preferred address, we can accept your foreign credit card and ship to a USA address for you.
Get free shipping with your $50 purchase today when you choose Standard Shipping at checkout. Please note this offer is only available to physical shipping addresses in the 48 continental United States (no PO Boxes), and oversize charges still apply on some heavy/large items