Learn About Mountain Bikes with JensonUSA
Mountain biking is all about having fun out on the trails and exploring new places. Whether you’re looking for your first bike or you’re looking for a second bike, a mountain bike is a perfect addition. With so many different types of mountain bikes, you can find one for climbing, trail riding, racing, and bombing down mountains.
What is a Mountain Bike?
Mountain bikes typically have larger, knobby tires, suspension either on the front or front and rear, and robust frames. A mountain bike is perfect for riding in the dirt, rocky terrain, deserts, and much more.
What types of mountain bikes are there?
There are several different types of mountain bikes out there that excel at various types of riding. These types of bikes can be lightweight or heavy, have short suspension travel or long, have large tires or small tires, and can have zero suspension or front and rear suspension.
- Trail and All-Mountain Bikes: One of the most versatile bikes out there. They are designed to tackle any trail and can travel between 120mm and 150mm.
- Cross Country Mountain Bikes: These bikes are perfect for climbing, fast accelerations on flat terrain, and riding long distances.
- Downhill/Gravity Mountain Bikes: If you’re not concerned about climbing up to the top of the mountain and only want to shred, then this is the mountain bike for you.
- Enduro Mountain Bikes: Think of this as the 80/20 bike. It is best for downhill riding but is able to climb back to the top. It’s not as aggressive as a DH bike but is much more aggressive than a trail or all-mountain bike.
- Full-Suspension Mountain Bikes: These bikes are highly versatile and can be used for cross-country, trail, enduro, and DH. This is best for the rider who wants a softer ride.
- Hardtail Mountain Bikes: Hardtails are great for those who don’t mind using their legs as their “suspension” instead of having a rear shock. These are best for trail and XC riding.
Which mountain bike is best for me?
This all depends on the type of riding you would like to do. If you’re looking to get into racing, then you’ll want to get a nicer mountain bike. If your goal is just to get out and have some fun on the trails, then a trail bike might be the right one for you. If you want to go as fast as possible downhill, then a DH or enduro bike will be the answer. For more information, check out our complete guide on how to choose a mountain bike.
Which mountain bike brands are the best?
Many brands make exceptional bikes. Some brands tend to focus on making higher-end racing bikes while other brands will focus on making a wide variety of bikes for the entire family. It would depend on what type of bike you’re looking for. Check out our large selection of Yeti, Norco, Niner, Marin, Diamondback, Ibis, and Devinci mountain bikes.
What’s a good mountain bike for beginners?
Hardtail mountain bikes are a great entry point for many riders. They tend to be less expensive compared to full-suspension mountain bikes and are still great for conquering the trails. Aluminum frame bikes are also less expensive than carbon bikes.
What’s a good mountain bike for advanced riders?
If you’re looking for the more advanced bikes, then you’ll want a full-suspension, carbon-framed mountain bike. These bikes can exceed all expectations and can help you push past your limits. Nicer mountain bikes will often come with 1x12-speed drivetrains and now even have electronic drivetrains.
What is the difference between a mountain bike and a regular bike?
A mountain bike is great for riding on the dirt. While it can still cruise on the pavement, it is at home on the singletrack and fireroads with its wide tires and suspension. While a “regular bike” rides well on the pavement, they don’t do so well in the dirt.